EDMR Therapist Oakland
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing
EMDR addresses difficult memories and circumstances, past, present, and even future. In doing so, one can gain insights and find relief from a variety of symptoms. EMDR helps the brain in its natural healing process, releasing the “fight, flight or freeze” response to the traumatic or difficult event. At Onward Leading, we are a leading Oakland EMDR therapist service.
How Does EMDR Therapy Work?
EMDR uses bilateral stimulation which can be in the form of eye movements, tapping, pulsars, or sounds that activate and integrate information from the thinking and emotional sides of the brain. Bilateral stimulation can also aid in strengthening imagery and retaining positive information. During a typical session, the therapist will ask the client to bring up a memory or a future scenario, and will then begin some form of bilateral stimulation. The client will process through the situation to its completion, typically when the disturbing feelings have diminished entirely or almost entirely. The therapist will then guide the client in developing a more useful adaptation or response to the situation in the form of a helpful belief or imagery such as “I am worthy,” “It’s not my fault,” or “I am safe.”
Who Does EMDR Therapy Address?
If you are in California or the Bay Area, an Oakland EMDR therapist can help. EMDR helps individuals with a wide variety of conditions to feel safe. Some of the issues where EMDR can be of assistance are listed below:
- Self-esteem Issues: EMDR can help you with a wide variety of issues that relate to self-esteem.
- Chronic Illnesses: With any chronic illness or condition, there is an emotional side of dealing with the issue.
- Anxiety: No matter the trigger of the anxiety, EMDR can help release the stress and anxiety related to any sort of traumatic event.
- Depression: EMDR therapy can help negate the negative emotions of depression that might come from a past trauma.
- Grief and Loss: Grief or loss is a traumatic event and EMDR therapy can help overcome the emotions of these types of event.
- Panic Attacks: EMDR can help minimize the frequency of panic attacks over time.
- Phobias: Many phobias have their origins in a past trauma; EMDR can help relegate the stress associated with phobias.
- PTSD/ Trauma: EMDR can help address some of the feelings associated with trauma and being to create better self-esteem and a sense of safety.
- Substance Misuse/Abuse: If substance misuse and abuse have an origin in negative feelings or trauma, EMDR can help address these.
Working With an EMDR Therapist Oakland
When you work with an Oakland EMDR therapist, we can help you with a wide variety of issues described above. You get access to a leading therapist in the area who can help you feel worthy and safe and overcome any of the issues that you are dealing with. Whether you want to meet with us virtually throughout California or are located within Oakland and want to visit our location, we can help you come up with a plan to overcome many of the issues that you are dealing with.
What To Expect From An EMDR Therapy Session
In an EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) therapy session, expect to be enveloped in a safe, supportive environment conducive to healing. Your therapist will guide you through the process, which includes identifying a specific traumatic memory or concern to focus on. As you recall this memory, your therapist will direct you in performing bilateral stimulation, often through eye movements, tapping, or auditory tones. This unique approach helps your brain process and integrate distressing memories, reducing their emotional impact. Throughout, your therapist ensures the space feels secure and empathetic, providing gentle guidance and encouragement. EMDR therapy is a powerful journey towards healing, offering hope and transformation by enabling you to process trauma in a compassionate setting. Sessions are tailored to meet your individual needs, ensuring your path to recovery is both personalized and respectful of your pace.
Due to the evidence of its efficacy, EMDR is recommended by major health organizations worldwide, including the World Health Organization (WHO), the American Psychiatric Association, and the Department of Veterans Affairs. These endorsements are based on the strength of the evidence supporting EMDR’s effectiveness as a treatment for trauma and PTSD. While originally developed for PTSD, EMDR has also been studied and applied to a range of other psychological stressors and conditions, such as anxiety disorders, depression, and phobias, indicating its versatility as a treatment modality.
How To Book An Oakland EMDR Therapy Session
If you are in Oakland or the Bay Area, visit our contact page to request more information on setting up an in-person appointment. For residents throughout California, we offer the benefit of virtual services.
4154 Piedmont Ave #5,
Oakland, CA 94611